Welcome to NoScans Daily!
This community is devoted to discussion of comic books, manga, comic strips and webcomics.
It is NOT for posting comic scans or webcomics. All off-topic and unapproved posts will be deleted.
Founded by stubbleupdate
Unofficial community mottos:
1) At noscans_daily, it's never just you.
2) It only counts as subtext if it's subtle.
» What You Can Post Here.
» Community Ethos.
» Rules of Conduct.
» Posting Rules.
» Featured Posts.
» Discipline (but Not that Kind).
WHAT YOU CAN POST HERE.
1. All discussion of comics, the comics industry and fandom are on topic in No Scans Daily. This includes discussion of: comics, creators, sales and fannish activities such as cons.
2. For illustrative purposes you may post links to and embedded videos and podcasts, comics covers, solicitations, previews, webcomics, and posts at our sister community, Scans Daily. All of these should be posted behind an lj-cut. Do not post comic scans: that's why we have scans_daily.
3. Integrated posts (i.e. those that link to a related post on Scans Daily), must include material which is not available on SD. Please remember that this is a discussion oriented community. "Hey guys, check our my Joker post on SD," is not considered on topic.
NoScans Daily was founded by girl geeks, and members of slash fandom but now strives to provide an atmosphere which is LGBT-friendly, anti-racist, anti-ableist, woman-friendly and otherwise discrimination and harassment free. The moderation team is always striving to make it a safer space for all fans, but this is not a safe space. Members come from all walks of life to talk about and share extracts from comics, and not all of them are on the same page regarding anti-oppression theory. Calling out other members or creators for discriminatory or oppressive behavior is encouraged for the good of the community.
Unfamiliar with terms like 'calling out' and 'anti-oppression theory'? Check out our Resources (available as annotated and quick link versions) for some primers.
Note: Please contact a moderator immediately if you see another member making discriminatory remarks.
RULES OF CONDUCT.
NoScans_Daily's aim is to create a safer atmosphere where members from all backgrounds can be enthusiastic about comics without feeling threatened or unsafe. When you join the community, we expect members to familiarize themselves with and follow the rules of conduct. Failure to follow these rules can result in official discipline, including warnings, suspensions or permanent bans.
1. Hate speech, racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, ableism, classism, discrimination on the grounds of nationality, ethnic or national origins, religious, sectarian or atheistic discrimination or otherwise overtly objectionable commentary based on people's intrinsic characteristics will not be tolerated in the community. In addition, rape apologia, rape jokes and metaphors, trolling, concern trolling, misrepresentation, derailing, passive aggression, pointless belligerence, sockpuppeting, spamming, silencing tactics and/or disrespecting the mods (including ignoring them), is not acceptable.
2. Do not make personal attacks*, issue insults, threats or express wishes of bodily harm in posts or comments. This applies to comments to both other members in the community and the creators whose work is being discussed. We welcome critical opinions, but please try to concentrate on the work rather than the person. If you can't do so without resorting to personal attacks or passive aggression, then that's probably a sign that you should take a step back from the conversation. Differences of opinion are welcome; no one has ever been nor will ever be banned on a difference of opinion alone.
3. NSD respects our members' rights to privacy and control over their online identities. As far as we're concerned you are your pseudonym. Trolling and attempts to dismiss other posters on the basis of their "hiding behind a fake name" will not be tolerated. Unauthorized public release of a fellow member's contact information will result in immediate banning.
If you see someone breaking any of the rules outlined above, please contact a moderator directly, or contact the mod team through scansdailymod[at]gmail[dot]com immediately so action can be taken.
*Please note that calling out other members for discriminatory behavior is NOT considered a personal attack here at Scans Daily. For our specific policy on discriminatory behavior, please refer to rule #1.
1. All multi-media, NSFW and spoilery content must be posted behind an lj-cut.
2. Do not screen or delete comments, or posts, unless directed by a moderator, or for the purposes of editing/correcting errors. This is a violation of our code of conduct.
Note: Troll comments that reveal personal info should be not be deleted. Instead, please screen them and then bring them to the attention of the mod team.
3. Please tag your posts, using all applicable and available tags.
4. Do not link to sites hosting pirated or otherwise illegal content in full - this includes links to Torrent and Scanlation sites and posting images which are watermarked with links to such sites.
Members whose posts contain minor violations of the rules above (legality, one or two extra pages, etc) will be given six hours to correct the issue. Posts with major violations such as NSFW/spoilery/outsized images outside an lj-cut or too many recent scans are subject to immediate deletion without warning.
NSFW: Standing for "not safe for work," this is a colloquial term referring to graphic content - not stuff you would want your boss to see, hence the etymology. Obviously, many bosses wouldn't want you to look at any comics when you should be working, but when we say NSFW, we're talking about nudity, sex, and extreme violence/gore. Think hard R/NC-17.
Spoilers: Generally speaking, information that gives away the plot or the "fun stuff" about a story. Practically speaking, everybody has slightly different definitions of what spoils a story for them, so here's our policy: all inside content of a comic two months old or younger is a spoiler. All solicitation information is spoilery. However, comics covers are not spoilers.
Macro Mondays: Once or twice a month, Monday will be given over to the posting of comics and geek macros. MM is an occasional thing, and happens only when the mods remember to put up a post.
Off Topic Tuesdays: Every week we have a post where you can get as off topic as you like. This is your chance to talk about non comics stuff, thread derail, and chat amongst yourselves.
Fan-Thing Thursdays: Every two weeks we have a post where you can share your fanworks for all to see.
Book Club: Every month we read and review an original graphic novel or a trade.
Film Club: Every month we watch and review a comic book movie.
Sales Reviews: Once or twice a month we post Diamond's sales charts, or links to blogs where the figures are being analyzed. Time for you to get your econ geek on.
DISCIPLINE (BUT NOT THAT KIND).
Users that break the rules may be given warnings by the mods. These warnings will not be handed out arbitrarily and summarily. They will be the result of discussion and consensus between different mods. NoScans Daily has a "Three Strikes and You're Out" policy on warnings, and on your third strike you will be permanently banned from the community. First and second warnings will expire after 6 months, at which point you will have earned yourself a fresh start. These warnings will be posted publicly.
1 – First Strike. This is the lowest level of official warning; it will not be used unless there are multiple or extreme infractions of the community rules. Identified by the following text:
"This is your FIRST OFFICIAL WARNING. Please note that if you receive two further warnings you will lose the ability to post on this community."
2 – Second Strike. This may follow a First Strike upon further infractions. Members receiving a second warning are suspended from NoScans Daily for fourteen days. Identified by the following text:
"This is your SECOND OFFICIAL WARNING. This is what they call a "second strike" and you are now suspended from the community for the next fourteen days, after which you will be allowed to return. Please note that if you receive one further warning you will lose the ability to post on this community."
3 – Third Strike. This leads to the ultimate sanction: banning. If a poster has consistently or egregiously ignored the rules of scans_daily, they will be permanently banned. IP addresses of former members are logged, and attempts to sneak around the ban using a new username will lead to reports being filed with Abuse, as this is a violation of the Terms of Service. Identified by the following text:
"This is your THIRD STRIKE. You have now been banned from NoScans_Daily."
Though the moderators have these tools at our disposal, we do not wish to actually have cause to use them. Mods will take appropriate steps to resolve issues without resorting to the warning system.
Reminders. Please note that official warnings will all carry the above text. However, a moderator may issue a "Mod Note" when there is a minor infraction of the rules or cause for concern. If a mod tells or asks you to do something, that is not the same as being given an official warning, which will always be identified as above. The moderator will simply step in to remind the member of the rule being broken. No official sanction will be taken.
The mods reserve the right to issue a Strike or extended suspension period of any level without issuing a First Strike or Reminder if the offense is deemed to be severe enough.
Have a suggestion? Check out our Suggestion Box. Meanwhile, please feel free to come to us with any questions, comments, or concerns at scansdailymod[at]gmail[dot]com. Please put [noscans_daily] or some variant in the subject line.
Some changes have been made to LiveJournal, and we hope you enjoy them! As we continue to improve the site on a daily basis to make your experience here better and faster, we would greatly appreciate your feedback about these changes. Please let us know what we can do for you!
See a bug? Let us know! Here you can also share your thoughts and ideas about updates to LiveJournal
Your request has been filed. You can track the progress of your request at:
If you have any other questions or comments, you can add them to that request at any time.
Help us make LiveJournal better! Answer a few questions to share your experiences using LiveJournal with us. It won't take more than 10 minutes!Take a survey